|This material is published under the OGL|
Breath Weapon (Su)[edit | edit source]
A creature attacking with a breath weapon is actually expelling something from its mouth (rather than conjuring it by means of a spell or some other magical effect). A breath weapon attack usually deals damage and is often based on some type of energy.
Such breath weapons allow a Reflex save for half damage (DC 10 + 1/2 breathing creature’s racial HD + breathing creature’s Con modifier; the exact DC is given in the creature’s descriptive text). Some breath weapons allow a Fortitude save or a Will save instead of a Reflex save. Most creatures with breath weapons are limited to a number of uses per day or by a minimum length of time that must pass between uses. Such creatures are usually smart enough to save their breath weapon until they really need it.
- Using a breath weapon is typically a standard action.
- No attack roll is necessary. The breath simply fills its stated area.
- Any character caught in the area must make the appropriate saving throw or suffer the breath weapon’s full effect. In many cases, a character who succeeds on his saving throw still takes half damage or some other reduced effect.
- Breath weapons are supernatural abilities except where noted.
- Creatures are immune to their own breath weapons unless otherwise noted.
- Creatures unable to breathe can still use breath weapons. (The term is something of a misnomer.)