Abeir-Toril, usually just called Toril, is the name of the planet on which the Forgotten Realms is set. The name is archaic, meaning "cradle of life." It consists of various continents and islands, including Faerûn, Kara-Tur, Zakhara, Maztica, Anchorome and an unknown sub-Saharan-like continent is located south of Maztica. 
Toril was the name of Jeff Grubb's campaign world, and it was adopted as the name of the planet with the continent Faerûn when he and Ed Greenwood were designing the original Forgotten Realms Boxed Set in 1987. Abeir- was added as a prefix so that the world's name Abeir-Toril was placed at the beginning of an alphabetical encyclopedia.
References[edit | edit source]
- Ed Greenwood and Jeff Grubb (1993). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting - A Grand Tour of the Realms, p. 4. TSR. ISBN 1-56076-605-0.
- Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition, p. 230. Wizards of the Coast. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- Tim Beach (1992). Gold & Glory, p. 9-10. TSR. ISBN 1-56076-334-5.
- Dougla Niles (1991). Maztica Campaign Set - Maztica Alive!, p. 45-46. TSR. ISBN 1-56076-084-2.
- Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition, p. 248. Wizards of the Coast. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.